Subject: RE: replacing my Ipod video 60GB

RE: replacing my Ipod video 60GB

From: Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 18:51:25 +0000

> Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:28:24 -0600
> From: hicks.brandon2_at_gmail.com
> To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
> Subject: Re: replacing my Ipod video 60GB
>
> On 8/8/2010 5:26 PM, Leonard Morris wrote:
> > What Ipod Video has the largest hard drive that Rockbox supports at
> > this time? I think my Ipod is dying and I want to replace my 60gb with
> > something larger.
>
> The largest stock hard drive is 80 gigs on the iPod video 5 and 5.5 gen.
> They're still pretty easy to find on EBay for good prices.
> Recently, large drive support has been officially added to SVN, so you
> could theoretically put a 120 gig or possibly larger drive in if you're
> willing to open the player.
>
> HTH
> Brandon

I did something like this once before. I bought a broken 4th gen iPod off eBay. The only thing wrong with it seemed to be the hard drive. I didn't want to buy a new 1.8" drive just to test it, so I made an adapter that would allow me to plug in a regular 3.5" 80 gig drive from a desktop. I powered the 3.5" drive from an external power supply (the iPod doesn't have the 12 and 5 volts needed, and if it did I'm sure it couldn't supply the current needed). The iPod worked, and on a goof I decided to see just how large of a drive I could put in it. I was able to get up to 250 gig without problem. The next sized drive I had was a 500 gig and it wouldn't work. I don't know if it'll take anything bigger than a 250 gig, but I do know 500 gig is too large. I don't know the size limits on the iPods that use the ZIF socket, but I'm pretty sure they would have the same range because the ZIF socket uses the same signals as a regular drive, and I believe the iPods are using the same drive controller logic. Besides, I'm certain there aren't any 1.8" drives in the 250 gig range yet.