Subject: Re: DAISY (was: Re: New players for the blind and Rockbox?)

Re: DAISY (was: Re: New players for the blind and Rockbox?)

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 08:21:36 +0100

> There where somebody who tried to include DAISY capability to
> Rockbox. Is this project still working?

A few years ago I attempted (for fun) to implement a DAISY fileset
parser based on a port of the Mini-XML parser and the D-BestFit malloc
implementation...it ended-up half-working, in the sense that it would
work fine on the simulator but would crash on the actual device. I
also tried porting Expat, I remember it working to a point...but to be
honest I can't remember what my progress was !! :)
I'm sure there are better ways to handle XML on low-resource devices,
such as pre-processing the XML on desktop machines, or by using an
optimized XML pull parser that doesn't eat-up all the memory with the
XML DOM (which is what I was trying to do with SAX events). The
project has been dead for a long time but I managed to document a few
things (source code there as well):

http://code.google.com/p/rockbox-experimental/w/list

Cheers, Dan