Subject: Player for the blind

Player for the blind

From: TG <twshop1_at_rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:53:56 -0400

Hello:
   To address the several posts on my post about NLS players.

1) I absolutely am not saying put Rockbox on a NLS supplied
player. I wastalking about putting it on the comercial players.

2) However I was not thinking we maybe could get it added to the
existing Rockbox players. However, that is a great thought. Even
just Daisy would be nice. Plus if we could make use of TTS on
players taht have that capability.

3) I was also thinking maybe there is a way to legally use the
authorization obrtained for a commercial NLS player
(Bookscence,Victor Stream). That is maybe we can replace the
firmware with rockbox without destroying the NLS and RFB&D keys
loaded into the players when authorized. The process is to send the
device identification code to NLS they then send a mesaage to the
manufacture who then sends a key to your. You do a one time load of
that key and now you can read NOS and RFB&D. Note this is done for
NLS and RFB&D seperately. My guess is Bookshare would not be a big
issue. But that is a guess,. It simply uses a password.

As for why I was asking for this. I bought a Bookscence about a year
ago. Version 1.0 of there formware was all but unusable. Players
constantly freezing on all differtnt file types. GUI was pretty good
but had some flaws which they did eventually address. Many players
freezing and needed to be sent back to be replayced or reburned. 1.1
was not much better. users are getting very fustrated with lack of
information coming from GWMicro and HIMS (the actuall
manufacture). Version 2.0 came out a few months ago and atleast now
the device functions. It stll needs hard resets daily if you want to
use Bluetooth. The audio quality is not very good for music and they
do not seem to have any interest in working on this. Rockboxs audio
control is excellant, with different modes and equalizers.

Thanks for the interest

Tom