Subject: Re: installation on sansa fuze V2

Re: installation on sansa fuze V2

From: Philip Macpherson <philipmac1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 21:02:13 +1100

By passing it in, you substitute the names of the files you have. For
instance the firmware file off sansa might have the had the name changed so
that's why you just can't copy and paste.

So for linux, I typed
./mkamsboot.bin fuzpa.bin bootloader-fuzev2.sansa patched.bin
Yours will probably be the exact same in the command prompt except
mkamsboot.exe instead
which basically just ran mkamsboot, took fuzpa.bin (sansas file) and
bootloader-fuzev2.sansa(rockbox's file) and combined them in a form the
player would accept. It then outputs patched.bin or whatever file you
want. You then rename that file to the name of the firmware update you
downloaded (in this case fuzpa.bin) and place it in just the base directory
of the player. Then when you disconnect the player it will detect this and
update the firmware, along with the bootloader. Of course you should have
made sure to unzip the correct rockbox base install at the correct place
before disconnecting.

Rockbox should then load and be fine for use. You probably already know,
but the USB isn't full working on the Fuze v2 so you boot into the original
firmware to copy music etc over. I do this by just turning the player off
before plugging the USB cord in.

I tried the rockbox auto utility, but it didn't want to be configured around
a proxy so I used the manual installation. But I'm pretty sure the first
step is just pointing it to the direction of the sansa firmware file you
downloaded (in the case of those that need this step) So I think there's a
good chance you could just skip these manual steps if you so did wish.

Hope this helps,
Philip