Subject: RE: playback sometimes freezes when fastforwarding, rewinding, or playing different file

RE: playback sometimes freezes when fastforwarding, rewinding, or playing different file

From: Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:47:52 +0000

> From: spammi.helevetti_at_nbl.fi
> To: menachem.shapiro_at_gmail.com; rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
> Subject: Re: playback sometimes freezes when fastforwarding, rewinding, or playing different file
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:09:11 +0200
>
> Hello
>
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:14:44 -0600, Menachem <menachem.shapiro_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > B"H
> > Hello
> >
> > Before I open up a bug ticket, I wanted to see if anyone else has this
> > issue, and can perhaps offer a solution.
>
> Yes, I've had the same problem on iAudio X5L and on iRiver h380.
>
> > I have an iRiver 20GB H10 running Rockbox 3.7. I recently updated from 3.4
> > (or 3.5 -- i'm not entirely sure) and have started noticing the following
> > problems.
>
> I have experienced this for quite a long time, I use SVN versions, but
> don't remember exactly which ones. It may even be that this problem has
> always been present and I have just paid attention on it lately.
>
> > When I'm listening to audio files on my mp3, I'll often fast forward or
> > rewind a little bit, depending on what I'm listening to. Sometimes while a
> > file is playing, I will browse my files and select another one to play.
> >
> > Most of the time this works as expected but sometimes (maybe %10-15 of the
> > time) playback will get corrupted, and the only solution is to reboot the
> > player. Most commonly, the file looks like it is playing (progress bar is
> > moving) but sound stops working. Trying to load another file (using a
> > bookmark or just clicking on the file) causes the player to sort of freeze.
> > It doesn't respond, but it isn't completely frozen since I am still able to
> > shut it off by holding down the power key. However, powering down takes a
> > lot longer than usual, and I have to hold down the power key the whole time.
> > Then it seems like the player doesn't go off until I let go the power key I
> > had been holding. Most of the time, rebooting the player works and the file
> > continues playing.
>
> I've had the same symptoms. It seems to be that performing consecutive
> fast forward or rewind operations too quickly causes this mystic lock
> up. Also it happens almost always when trying to rewind when the file is
> almost at the end. I've found that trying to rewind/fast forward for a
> longer (read few seconds) time sometimes restores the sound.
>
> --
> Aura

This is probably totally unrelated, but it sounds similar to what I've experienced so it may be helpful. I have a 1st gen iPod and a 4th gen iPod. The 1st gen has a scroll wheel and the 4th have the scroll pad. On either one if I hold the fast forward key down (or fast reverse) and try to use the scroll like I was trying to change the volume while still holding the fast forward/reverse button down, it stays in fast forward/reverse even when I lift off of the touchpad/buttons. The only way for me to recover this is to do the hard reboot (either with the keypress or remove battery) or to re-do the fast forward/rewind plus volume scroll thing again and to also skip to the next/previous track. Maybe there is some sort of race condition that causes the firmware to keep looping the fast forward/rewind button when you try and "jam" another button into it.