Subject: Re: Rockbox buildserver and ccache disk usage

Re: Rockbox buildserver and ccache disk usage

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 02:44:12 -0000

Michael Sparmann wrote:
> Am 21.12.2010 00:49, schrieb Mike Holden:
>> I run a rockbox build server, and I've noticed disk space usage
>> issues in /home/rockbox recently. I don't know for certain whether
>> this is the issue though.
>>
>> /home/rockbox/.ccache is 3.7Gb in size now, and this looks rather
>> excessive, but I don't know if this is normal or not.
>>
>> What kind of disk usage would be expected for this area for a
>> build
>> server, running all possible build types?
>
> I'm also running a build client with all toolchains installed and
> enabled. Here's my ccache stats:
>
> $ ccache -s
> cache directory /home/buildclient/.ccache
> cache hit 132887
> cache miss 25804
> called for link 4011
> multiple source files 457
> compile failed 984
> preprocessor error 5
> not a C/C++ file 11894
> unsupported compiler option 5513
> no input file 1581
> files in cache 51608
> cache size 174.2 Mbytes
> max cache size 976.6 Mbytes
>
> As you can see, the default cache size limit is barely a gigabyte,
> so
> you must have increased that at some point. If you need the space
> for
> other things, just set the limit to something lower again:
> $ ccache -M 1G
>
> Remember that you need to do this as the user that's running the
> build
> client.

Thanks for the reply Michael.

Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my issue though! As you can see, my
settings are pretty much the same as yours, with a limit of 1Gb. I
have done nothing with ccache other than install it (Fedora 12). I
certainly haven't changed any settings whatsoever.

[rockbox_at_jewel ~]$ ccache -s
cache directory /home/rockbox/.ccache
cache hit 5208325
cache miss 7803051
called for link 1948595
multiple source files 1872
compile failed 7669
ccache internal error 10188
preprocessor error 885
couldn't find the compiler 763
cache file missing 3
not a C/C++ file 188902
autoconf compile/link 2236
unsupported compiler option 319033
no input file 48939
files in cache 40754
cache size 890.9 Mbytes
max cache size 976.6 Mbytes

Running ccache -c doesn't clear any space.

I ran ccache -C to clear the space, and usage has dropped to 11Mb. I
will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

What's the actual disk usage of your cache, as shown by:

du -sh /home/buildclient/.ccache
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop