Subject: upgrading my iPod video

upgrading my iPod video

From: G.E. <GlennErvin_at_cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:04:48 -0600

Hi,
This iPod with RockBox, is behaving strangely, and I hope someone can help.
I wish to update the iPod's Apple firmware via iTunes, but it keeps telling
me that it cannot because some files are in use by another program, and I
don't know if my screenreader is referring to a window I have open, or if it
is referring to RButils. But I don't have RButils running.
This is with windows XP and iTunes that has prompted me for an upgrade, but
the current version of iTunes is only about a few weeks old.
Also, when I boot up to the iPod's Apple firmware, the volume control on the
iPod is adjusting the volume on my laptop, like a wired remote, so when I
scroll around on the touch wheel, the computer volume goes up and down.
And also, incorrectly, the drive opens up like it should if RockBox is
loaded, but actually when I am booting to the Apple firmware.
I thought that if I could get the iPod Video original boot loader installed,
and delete or rename the RockBox boot loader, I might be able to update the
Apple boot loader in iTunes.
I took a look at the iPodPatcher file, and thought that this looks helpful,
but I am uncertain of using it.
I read that I will use it in a command-line shell, which I am comfortable
with.
But if I could get some help with updating the Apple iPod boot loader, and
then I will try again to run the RButil for upgrading the Rockbox.
Thanks.
Glenn