Subject: Re: installing rockbox with speech

Re: installing rockbox with speech

From: Erin Chaves <emc711_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:31:27 -0500

Joe wrote:
Hi. I'm new to this list. I'm totally blind and use the Jaws screen reader on my windows computer. I have a V1 Sansa fuse with rockbox installed to speech files and folders and all is working fine. I didn't install it myself however, and would like to completely remove it and learn how to install from scratch.

Hi Joe,

There are two ways you can install Rockbox, You can either install using the Rockbox Utility, or you can download the necessary files and install them manually onto your device. Manually installing only involves pasting the specified files in certain places. All of this should be included in the Sansa Fuze user manual.

You can download the Utility by visiting
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility

Run the program. You be able to configure your player and access tabs to automatically install the boot loader, the Rockbox firmware and voice files.

To manually install RB, you'll have to download the correct zip for your Fuze. You can find it here.

http://www.rockbox.org/download/byhand.cgi

Look under Sansa Fuze and you'll see the links to download firmware, manual and voice.
Download the firmware (its name is .Rockbox), unzip it and paste it into the root directory of your player.
Download the voice file, unzip it. Look inside and find the file called english.voice.
Go into the folder on your player called .Rockbox. Click on the folder called Langs, and paste the English.voice file into the Langs folder.
You should be good to go. I'm not going into how to manually install the boot loader, as it's tricky, and I have never tried it. I use the utility to install the RB boot loader. I have owned a Fuze, and I enjoyed it.

If you want to save your install, you can do that. Simply connect your Fuze, go into the root directory and find the folder called .rockbox. Select it, cut it and paste it into a folder on your PC. It'll be there if you need it.

I hope this made sense. If you're computer-savvy, you should have little difficulty with this.

Erin