Subject: Re: visual SDK suggestion

Re: visual SDK suggestion

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:26:11 +0100

On Jun 4, 2012 10:29 PM, "Jacob Smith" <jpshurricane_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it would be good to develop a visual SDK like Scratch (TM). I
would develop many games using that, and I'm sure others would as well.

Interesting. I think this is the first time I have heard such a suggestion
(so I'm not entirely convinced that others would also surely want this!).
Given that rockbox has a Lua interpreter already, this would probably be
the most reasonable starting point. A 'game builder' sounds a bit limited
on its own, but I'm struggling to envision any kind of generic tool that
can run on the many very different devices that rockbox supports, many of
which have no really useful data entry capabilities.

However, a 'visual SDK' sounds like you're suggesting a tool to run
off-device rather than on-device. Off-device stuff really isn't the focus
of rockbox (I'm sure there are hundreds of ways to edit or create Lua
scripts for PC and Mac, for example).

If you yourself are a developer and would like to see your suggestion come
to fruition, please feel free to try it out and we'll be happy to review
and make suggestions!