Subject: Re: cansome one tell me how to voice my sd card so it will read folders and files

Re: cansome one tell me how to voice my sd card so it will read folders and files

From: Christopher Chaltain <chaltain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:57:08 -0600

On 05/11/12 16:20, Dominik Riebeling wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Jason Taylor <jasontaylor_at_rcn.com> wrote:
>> I'm sorry nothing worked. I know from experience this is in bad taste, but I wanted to point out the pink elephant in the room, since nobody else has. Namely, that, imo, this whole thread is a little weird, since tts is something rockbox should, arguably, be doing on the fly. 99% of the needed code is open source. and, i mean we are talking 1978 tech.
>
> So why don't you remove the pink elephant from the room and provide a
> patch then? Obviously you're the only one seeing the pink elephant, so
> expecting someone else to remove it is unlikely to work.

It's true that TTS technology has been around since the 70's, but it
wasn't until the 90's that PC's had the processing power to handle
software TTS, at least that's when they started to become common place.
Prior to that, you had dedicated HW devices which off loaded the
processing for TTS. I'm not sure, but I suspect porting a TTS to some of
these small MP3 devices, given their HW and FW, might not be feasible or
as straightforward as on a system running a full OS.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail