Subject: Re: Sansa Clip Zip and DRM

Re: Sansa Clip Zip and DRM

From: Bob Proulx <bob_at_proulx.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:28:43 -0700

Dionesque wrote:
> I don't think my library's DRM files are corrupted, I've been able
> to transfer and to play them on my daughter's Sony player.

Good. (Within the confines of DRM.)

> So apparently it's a Clip Zip issue only. When I try to synch them
> using Windows Media Player, I'm getting a message from WMP that my
> player doesn't support DRM10. Of course I'm trying to synch while
> booted with the original firmware and while connected on MTP mode.

That does appear to be a Clip Zip upstream stock firmware issue. I
say appear because I am not sure. I am just another happy user of the
Clip+. But I haven't had any any problems with the original
firmware. But I don't know if that means anything. In a software
program the smallest of details can cause the largest of problems.

> My original firmware version is 01.01.18 and according to Sandisc
> website, this version supports DRM10 as I'm also able to switch to
> MTP mode.

Noted.

> What else can I do to play these DRM files upon the original
> firmware?

If I were wanting to do that I would investigate converting the audio
into a non-drm format and then playing the non-drm format. So far I
have avoided needing to face this question. I am not familiar with
DRM10 but I saw that others posted some suggestions.

> I agree with you that DRM is bad, there should be a better way to
> restricting the files distribution but unfortunately my local
> library offers only DRM10-protected audiobooks so I have no choice
> there...

And it would seem reasonable to expect that if the original firmware
says that it supports it then I would expect that booting into the
original firmware should play them. What you have done so far seems
perfectly reasonable.

I would hope (without any actual information) that having rockbox
installed would not prevent the original firmware from doing this.
However note that I really do not know about this issue.

It is perhaps possible that the DRM code checks for the bootloader and
refuses to operate if it isn't the native bootloader. That would be
very annoying. But it seems likely that will be discovered to be the
case given what you have reported so far. Don't know.

> Shall I copy the original firmware .bin file over the existing one
> on the player? Will it cause any problems with the Rockbox booting
> on this player?

Are you asking about removing rockbox and returning to the stock boot
loader firmware? Please verify the procedure from the current docs.
It has been at least two years since I did it myself on a player.

I think you are definitely to the point to try replacing the rockbox
bootloader with the original bootloader to verify if the player will
play your files without rockbox installed. If that works then that
sounds like your best option. (Although I would rather be hoping it
didn't since that would mean the problem was something else that would
allow rockbox to remain installed.)

If (and only if) that turns out to be the case and you are happy with
the DRM on the original player then if it were me I would buy a second
player. One for the DRM and one for everything else. Because
personally I really like the voice talker for the menus and other
features. I would hate to be without the wonderful features of
rockbox. But if that were the only way then that is what I would do.
Just an idea.

Good luck!

Bob