Subject: Re: HD/SSD for iAudio X5L/iRiver H340

Re: HD/SSD for iAudio X5L/iRiver H340

From: Jurgen. <>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 18:40:03 -0700

Did you mean the Toshiba MK4007GAL drives? I did a quick look on iaudiophile what drive is in the X5, which is a bit slimmer than the X5L. Samsung HS12YHA which are mentioned in the same topic as well are also sold on Taobao. They are still sold on (Chinese Ebay). Just pick the URL of that Item and place an order via or These sites act as an agent / intermediary for buying items of Taobao sellers. They ask a small fee for sending the items from the seller to their warehouse (domestic shipping within China) plus additional fee sending to you. Normally payment goes in 1 or 2 rounds and Shipping is via China Post or Hong Kong Post or Singapore Air mail. Preferably avoid EMS or DHL shipping as it is expensive. Yes, it is fast but expensive. Look for the sellers with the highest ratings. Rating goes via hearts to diamonds to crowns (the best) Prices are in Yuan, convert them to your currency via;to=EUR;amt=1 Search for the drives, example:   For example, this seems a good one. Greetings, Invictaz   On Monday, August 18, 2014 3:24 PM, Jonas Wielicki <> wrote: Hello Aura, > So now my iAudio X5L's HD got broken and I would like to replace it > with an SSD, if possible. Does anyone know about any news related to > this post? I also have a iRiver H340 so I'm also interested about its > status. > > If it is very unlikely that these issues have been resolved, or if it > is likely that some new issues will arise, I will resort to an old > HD. This is because I'm blind which makes debugging these problems > somewhat hard. > There definetly are news. A few weeks later, I posted on rockbox-dev about the patch I wrote to circumvent *most* of the issues on my device (see <>). It is still far from perfect, but for me it is usable. Unfortunately, however, that the patch never made it into rockbox master, because there was noone to review and test it properly. It was probably never tested outside of my h320 with the SSD I bought. It still has some rare freezes, but increases usability a lot. > Does anyone know, if old IDE HD's can still be found somewhere? > These are very hard to find. Back in 2012, there were still some chinese vendors on ebay, you might have luck there. Also, there are some hacks around using CompactFlash cards instead of HDDs, but I’m not sure if these will have similar problems like I had with the SSD. As an additional note, its also possible that the SSD is simply broken. Good luck with finding a suitable way, Jonas Wielicki ------------------------------------------------------------------- Unsubscribe: FAQ: Etiquette: