Subject: Re: New Rockbox user questions

Re: New Rockbox user questions

From: Sheldon <sheldon10101_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 00:02:18 -0400

I'd go with the Sansa Clip Zip or Sansa Clip+. The zip is newer. I
just checked and both are available on amazon.com. I don't recommend
the Sansa Fuze+ as its touch interface is fiddly and they have a
tendency to break the touch interface. You can save some money if you
get a refurbished one.

On amazon UK, a refurbished 4gb black clip zip is 35 UKpds and a new one
in red is 30. A refurbished one in gray is 25.

I've owned a Sansa Fuze+ (and replaced it a couple of times under
warranty). I currently have 2 4gb Clip Zips that have rockbox. I use it
for podcasts and audiobooks. So I've got a 64gb microsd in the one I
use. Note that is you buy a large (64gb) card you have to play around a
bit to get it formatted to FAT.

I've set mine up with a customized fixed.cfg file as explained in the
manual so that whenever I have any issue, I just shut off and on and
have it set up just as I had it before any inadvertent change I made
while listening to it in bed in the dark. Another big advantage in
getting away from a touch interface. With the Clip zip it only takes a
couple of seconds to startup.

As to initial setup, it still is a bit of a pain even with the utilities
available. Because you have to download some specific files and make
changes to the firmware. Just download the manual for the particular
model you bought and carefully follow the instructions. Might take an
hour or so to setup. But this only has to be done once. Anyone who can
successfully post here shouldn't have any problem.

Sheldon