Subject: Recording issue on sansa clip zip

Recording issue on sansa clip zip

From: Mat Mirabella via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 20:09:33 +1000

Hi guys.

Sorry if this has already been noted, but I discovered something annoying with recording on the sansa clip zip. I discovered what the problem was afterwards by a bit of trial an error. I wonder if this is a bug or is it some specific intended behaviour for some other reason which I am unsure about…

The issue is this... When you are actually recording audio from the microphone, if you press the up or down volume side buttons on the clip zip, the microphone stops recording though the device keeps on creating the mp3 file which ends up being just silence.

This was very annoying today as I tried to record a presentation where I seemed to have bumped the volume at some stage while I was putting the player down on the table. this meant that I got a few seconds of recorded noise, followed by a large number of seemingly empty mp3 files.

If I had looked at the display I would have noticed that after touching the volume buttons, the peak meters went flat. So if I had looked I would have seen something was wrong. But I didn't look at that stage, I guess because it started ok I thought it would be ok. To get things going properly again, you need to go out of the recording screen, back into it again and then start over with the recording. as long as you don't touch the side buttons, all will be well.

Just thought I would mention this on the list in case the developers are not aware, someone may be able to highlight it to them. I cannot say if this happens on other players or with other versions of rockbox. The version I am using is a daily build from within the last month or so.

Maybe someone can let me know if there is some other reason why it does this, or if this is an issue, maybe someone is already working on it? …

Regards.

Mat.