Subject: Re: Sansa Clip Sport

Re: Sansa Clip Sport

From: Andrew Skretvedt via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:01:08 +0000

On 2015-Sep-04 16:01, Pedro Emílio Machado de Brito via rockbox wrote:
> Somewhat off-topic: what's a fair asking price for a new Clip Zip? I
> lost mine (with a 64 GB card:( ) a couple of months ago and the eBay
> listings for new players seem outrageous. There are refurbs for a much
> lower price though, but I have concerns about battery life.

Regarding the Clip Zip,

I bought mine new two years ago, 4GB Clip Zip + 32GB microSD from a
physical Radio Shack store in North Dakota, USA, for 65 USD all-in.

It was actually the 2nd new unit I bought, as I returned the first new
unit the after one day due to a problem with the audio output, which had
an anomaly which sounded like digital static whenever files were played
on either Rockbox or factory firmware, from either the SD card or
internal memory. The exchange was hassle-free, and the 2nd unit has been
performing quite well.

As of right now, my battery endurance is down to about 65% of what it
was when it was new (~10hrs playback on full charge vs. ~15hrs when
new). This seems about as expected from LiPO battery chemistry aging.

Even on new unopened stock, I might begin to have concerns about the age
of their LiPO packs, and their present charge condition. I would not
expect them to perform as well as new and recently manufactured
specimens. They may perform about as well as mine does today, give or
take. Definitely plug 'em in first and let them charge up before messing
with them.

Another trip report: the switches underneath the 4-way pad are beginning
to deteriorate on my unit. Right now the LEFT and DOWN switches do not
operate reliably unless pressed with modestly more firmness than it
takes to actuate any of the other buttons. I expect this to only get
worse...

All in all, I'd say it's wearing well enough. I use it about 2-5 hours
per day, every day! And I do not know what I'm going to do when it's
usable life is over!