Subject: Re: Sansa Clip+ won't turn on

Re: Sansa Clip+ won't turn on

From: Richard Ash via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 13:57:40 +0000

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 07:51:34 -0500
"Ross A. Doerr via rockbox" <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:

> Hello Pablo:
> I had this same issue last year with a clip zip. It happened exactly
> the same way to me that it happened to you. I put the clip zip in a
> drawer for a week and simply wrote it off, believing it to be a lost
> cause. After a week I pulled it out of the drawer, and just to
> convince myself it was completely dead, plugged it into my computer.
> Much to my astonishment, it appearrede and began working. It has
> worked fine ever since then. I have no idea why, perhaps the battery
> needed to completely discharge or something. What happened to me is,
> admittedly a shot in the dark, but one never knows.
As such, it sounds like it would be worth Pablo's while (as he has it
open already) to disconnect the battery (and external power) from the
player for a while (say half an hour to be safe) and see if that cold
reset changes anything.

As a designer, I know that many of the charger / power management chips
in these products stay "alive" and maintain their internal state all the
time the battery is connected and has charge in it. This is normally
useful (because the chip stays configured the way the designer wants
it) but does mean that the chip may not ever be reset in normal use.
Removing the battery will force a complete reset of the power chip,
which will then get re-configured by the firmware when the player boots
up.

This would be consistent with the very sudden demise in this case,
because it was "broken" by the firmware (incorrectly) changing a
single setting during the crash.

In the same spirit, have you tried both power from your laptop and from
a USB power (mains) adaptor? Some chips have a feature whereby they can
be locked in an extra low power state after manufacture (to preserve
battery life), which can only be cleared by a mains charger (USB data
cable doesn't count) being connected.

Richard