Subject: Re: Generating Voice Files For v3.14: Not Working For Me Either

Re: Generating Voice Files For v3.14: Not Working For Me Either

From: Laz via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:25:20 -0400

Hi Matej,

I believe I was the only one who was posting about this issue. One of
the devs finally contacted me off list and he finally realized that
the English-US file had not been updated and the solution was to
create a voice using the English file instead. If other language files
are also not updated in 3.14 then it's a bigger bug than was realized.

Since that time I have become aware of other speech bugs here and
there such as some voice prompts not being spoken, the speaking of the
radio frequencies not working 100% if at all, and just things that
were spoken in past versions not being spoken in 3.14. I hesitated to
bring them up due to the poor response on list plus no one else
putting in their 2 cents with the bug in the lang file and voice
generation.

I've been using 3.14 due to the increased battery life but doing so
you give up some of the speech prompts you were used to in past
versions. Simple things like Bookmark created and others. Sorry but I
haven't kept notes of everything that I've noticed not being spoken
anymore.

laz

On 9/22/17, Matej Golian via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:
> Hello guys,
> I know I'm pretty late to the party, but yesterday I found out about
> version 3.14. Needless to say I was very happy about it at as I
> started to worry that Rockbox wasn't going to be updated anymore. I
> love the updates - mainly doubled battery time and improved seeking. I
> use single file album images + CUE sheets a lot and in the previous
> versions of RB i was unable to switch between tracks properly in some
> of my files, but now all of the problematic files I tested work
> correctly. 😊
> My only gripe with the new version is that I can't generate voice
> files for it. The Utility seems to do its job, but when I change the
> language to one I've generated a voice file for my player freezes and
> the language is switched back to English. I have a Sansa Clip+. I've
> read some posts in the archive and so I know that I'm not alone with
> this. In fact, that's why I write on here in the first place - to let
> others with this issue know that there are more of us out there. 😏
> Generating my own voice files is not all that essential for me, but it
> would certainly be fun to have voice files for all the languages I
> speak. I have successfully generated voice files for earlier releases
> of RB and so it's a little disappointing that the latest (and
> greatest) RB version to date misbehaves in such a way.
> Has anyone found a solution to this problem? If so, how did you get it
> to work and if so, what TTS voice/language did you use? I'm trying to
> generate the files with some of the voices found here:
> http://harposoftware.com/
> Many thanks and have fun.
> Matej

Bluetooth devices, and accessories