Subject: Re: can not uninstall sansa clip zip bootloader

Re: can not uninstall sansa clip zip bootloader

From: Antony Stone via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 13:31:14 +0200

On Tuesday 11 September 2018 at 12:57:59, leonard morris via rockbox wrote:

> I am a visually impaired person. I have a Sansa clip zip MP3 player. I
> am trying to restore it back to the factory settings. I want to remove
> the bootloader and then rockbox so I can give it to my sighted sister.
> however, I keep getting the following error message you see below. What
> can I do to resolve this issue Thanks.
>
> Rockbox Utility can not uninstall the bootloader on this target. Try a
> normal firmware update to remove the booloader.

It's telling you that you need to perform a firmware update according to the
original manufacturer's instructions, rather than anything to do with Rockbox.

The original firmware will include the bootloader, and this will enable the
device to start up as the manufacturer originally intended.

I'm presuming that Rockbox can't do this for you because (a) it had to over-
write something to get its own bootloader installed, and (b) it can't put a
copy of the original bootloader back onto the device for copyright and
licensing reasons.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Pavlov is in the pub enjoying a pint.
The barman rings for last orders, and Pavlov jumps up exclaiming "Damn!  I