Subject: Re: Rockbox hosting

Re: Rockbox hosting

From: Solomon Peachy via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 07:13:19 -0400

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 02:57:20AM -0400, Wilgus William via rockbox wrote:
> Scorche is currently spending $700 / year hosting rockbox.org
> I propose we help offset that with some donations

There is an existing "paypal donate" button on the website; any idea how
much that brings in, and where it goes? (probably a pittance..)

> on top of that its time we updated the site

I know there have been some technical/access reasons holding that up.

> I think github.io would be a viable path forward for some of the load ~100
> Gb/month

Do we have stats to show the breakdown of bandwidth usage? Eg static
web content, forums, official rockbox release downloads, nightly build
downloads, source control (ie git repos), and more nebulous
"infrastructure" (eg build system C&C, translation tools, and so forth)

> also I propose we make the forums a searchable archive and start over

I'm personally not terribly fond of forums; They seem to be nearly
always the worst option. If we're going to stick with forums, perhaps
the right approach is to mark all of the existing topics/etc as
read-only, move them to new top-level "archive" category, and create a
new, simplified hierarchy for future use..

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
High Springs, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^