Subject: Re: Advice on small FM Radio using Rockbox

Re: Advice on small FM Radio using Rockbox

From: Antony Stone via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 21:41:37 +0200

On Wednesday 10 June 2020 at 21:18:55, Gerry Ellis via rockbox wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am totally blind. I want to use Rockbox on a shirt pocket sized FM radio
> so that I can use the controls and also set and select prefix radio
> stations. The smaller the device the better so long as reception is good.

I think your summary of the situation regarding the availability of players
which support Rockbox (or which Rockbox supports?) is disappointingly
accurate.

It's very hard to buy a player these days which enables non-standard firmware
to be installed on it.

I sincerely hope that someone else on this list is able to provide an answer
to the question you asked, however given that you're looking for "a shirt
pocket sized FM radio", in what way does an iPhone or Android device not meet
this requirement?

Plenty of smartphones these days include a radio, and my understanding (only
second-hand; I am not blind, although my girlfriend is, although she hasn't
investigated smartphone capabilities recently enough to be useful) is that the
screenreaders on these devices (VoiceOver and TalkBack) are pretty good these
days, so I would expect they can certainly do what you want (and you get the
bonus of a telephone, mail client and web browser if you want those, plus a
camera with applications like TapTapSee, included).

So, although I (and even more, my girlfriend) think that Rockbox is absolutely
great (she uses it on an iRiver H340), the difficulty of buying something now
which you can run it on might mean that another solution is a better option?

Regards,

Antony.

--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?