Subject: Re: Advice on small FM Radio using Rockbox

Re: Advice on small FM Radio using Rockbox

From: Sam Kuper via rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 22:44:52 +0100

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 09:46:38PM +0200, Bernhard M. via rockbox wrote:
> You can still find some good Sansa Clips working with Rockbox on ebay
> and similar. [snip]

In addition to eBay, some other websites sometimes have secondhand Sansa
Clips in stock, e.g. I previously bought some as gifts from
https://uk.webuy.com . Unfortunately, that website is not great from an
accessibility perspective; let me know if you would like me to give you
direct URLs to relevant listings.

Alternatively, if Rockbox is not a requirement, then might a miniature
FM radio with presets be adequate? I don't have direct experience of
it, but here is what one reviewer said of the Roberts Radio Sports DAB5,
which has FM as well as DAB functionality:

    I wanted a small DAB radio that had good sound quality. As I would
    use it primarily when out walking, I wanted one that was easy to
    use, not necessitating glancing at the screen to get to my favourite
    stations too often. ... I have had this 20 months now, and am very
    impressed. ... 90% of the time, I can operate this blind, whilst it
    is still in my pocket. There are 5 buttons dedicated to presets.
    There is a jog-wheel to scroll through channels and the menu.
    Fortunately, this is recessed and hasn't been triggered accidentally
    yet. The power button is on the top edge, so is unlikely to be
    pressed accidentally. There is a lock switch, but I rarely use it.
    ... I started off using AmazonBasics High Capacity AA Pre-Charged
    Rechargeable Batteries [which gave] around 15 hours use. I then
    switched to the Panasonic Eneloop batteries, which [give] 25
    hours... The menu system is a little fiddly to use when out
    walking, as it tends to go back to DAB mode due to its sensitivity,
    but you should only need to use this infrequently. I think they
    could have implemented more presets using long presses, so 10
    instead of 5 for each mode (DAB/FM), or some other system. ... I
    would add that I also trialled 2 other devices, made by Pure and
    Majority. The Majority device, whilst cheap, was unreliable regards
    clicking etc, and essentially unusable. The Pure device was
    gorgeous, a work of art, but very difficult to use blindly. This
    Roberts device is far superior from a usability point of view.

    Source: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/REJ0TAY390DH9

Manufacturer web page:
https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/products/radio/dab/sportsdab5

--