Subject: Re: Rockbox on an ESP32?

Re: Rockbox on an ESP32?

From: Solomon Peachy via rockbox <rockbox_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 13:31:05 -0400

On Sat, Apr 01, 2023 at 08:17:51AM -0400, David Mehler wrote:
> Solomon, from what your saying it definitely sounds like a lot of
> effort for a gasping player if the ESP32 was chosen, which is well
> over-my-head now, and I wouldn't want something gasping.

This is a really cool board I found:

  https://www.electro-smith.com/daisy/daisy

It's intended for use in musical instruments / effects processors, and
is a completely open design, with full schematics and all source code
available on github.

It has an STM32H7 (single core Cortex-M7 _at_ 480MHz), 64MB off-chip DRAM,
8MB off-chip QSPI flash, and an WM8731 audio codec (24bit _at_ 96KHz) with
line in & out brought to a header.

It lacks a SD card slot, display, audio jacks, buttons, and any sort of
battery/power management (It can run on 4-17V though). The codec
includes a headphone amp but those pins aren't connected.

There's plenty of available I/O left for buttons and hooking up a
display.

As well as the off-chip ram & flash, the processor likely has >512K of
fast onboard SRAM and >1MB flash. So this thing has plenty of oomph and
is easily capable of running fully-featured, no-compromise Rockbox, and
at $30 in single-unit quantities is pretty cheap for what it is.

Anyone interested in a cool HW project? :D

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      _at_pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)