Subject: Re: Bad Recorded MP3s - may not be (solely) a DAC issue

Re: Bad Recorded MP3s - may not be (solely) a DAC issue

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:49:59 +0000

>>1. Why does RB append a blank 4K ID3v2 header to the start of every file?
>
>It's there for convenience, so that the file can be updated with a valid
>tag without rewriting the entire file.

ok

>>2. Each ID3v2 tag is followed by 212 (0xD4) 0's ...which afaict serve no
>>purpose.
>>Is this a bug, or is there something I don't know?
>
>If there are 212 0's between the tag and the Xing header, then it's a bug.

There are - would you like some sample files?

>>3. There is next a corrupt Xing (VBRI) header containing the text
>>"Rockbox - rocks your box"
>>Again, is this helpful? Why not put the text in the tag? I presume
>>VBRFix will blat out the comment when you try to make the file useable.
>
>It's a Xing header, not VBRI.

Sorry, my error - I saw one program that treated them equally and wasn't
thinking to carefully when I typed.

>What makes you think the tag is corrupt? It just lacks the TOC, which is
>perfectly valid.

Corrupt as in not vbrfixed.

>The text is there for the fun of it and nothing else.

I still think the fun text would be better placed in the tag for all to see
and not be automatically removed when the file is "fixed".

>>It strikes me that this is most likely a bug in the time-split feature,
>
>Hmmm. Which version of Rockbox were these files recorded with?

This I do not know at present - also hence my suggestion to embed this
information into the empty tag for the future.

BC