Subject: Re: Wavpack recording.

Re: Wavpack recording.

From: Thom Johansen <thomj_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:58:10 +0100

gl wrote:

> I have the Wavpack record code written (for now hard-coded into
> pcm_record.c). I can't get it to compile though. For one, malloc
> and free (which I use to allocate the block buffers) don't resolve. I
> read the basic RB framework primer on the site about the seperation of
> firmware and app, but I don't understand the implications yet - how
> should I allocate memory?

We don't use malloc and free in Rockbox. Allocate whatever memory you
need with static
buffers.

> For another, I get a message that the IRAM is full.
>
> LD rockbox.el
> /opt/m68k/lib/gcc/m68k-elf/3.4.5/../../../../m68k-elf/bin/ld: region
> IRAM is full (/cygdrive/n/_projects/rockbox/_out/apps/rockbox.elf
> section .stack)

Codecs uses IRAM and the Rockbox core itself uses IRAM. You're probably
trying to link
the Wavpack library to the Rockbox core, which will not work, since the
combined
IRAM usage of both will be more than the core itself is allowed to use
(32kb i think).

> IRAM is integrated into the CPU for speed, right - I'm not clear how
> I'm using it though as I've removed the only place I was explicitly
> asking for it (via IDATA_ATTR). However when I disable all my code,
> the error goes away.

Like I said above, the Wavpack code uses IRAM in places.

Thom