Subject: AW: Intelligent file caching.

AW: Intelligent file caching.

From: perterm <perterm_at_vce.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:58:27 +0100

> Von: Linus Nielsen

> But this will *eat* your battery as the HD would have to be
> spinning all the time to keep up with the cursor when you're
> browsing files.

That could be decreased to a minimum if you take typical user behaviour in
account. Usually the user recognizes a song within the first few seconds and
then decides wether he wants to listen to it or skip it. So if the user
doesn't skip within - let's say 15 seconds - we could drop the pre-cache of
the next song and use it for caching the current song in order to reduce
disk spinning. Of course that means that when you want to skip in the middle
of a song we'd have the same delay as we have now. But probably the vast
majority of all skips happen within the first few seconds of a song.

Another idea would be to try to detect whether the user skips frequently
e.g. in order to find a special song. In that situation we could try to
buffer serveral songs.

Phil