Subject: Re: Editing .patch files?

Re: Editing .patch files?

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:34:05 -0500

gl wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Each changed file has an obvious header. If you don't intend to
>> change that file, simply delete the section to the next file header.
>
> That part I figured out : ).
>
>> Within a file, each change section has a flag showing the starting
>> line and number of lines that were removed in the section and then the
>> starting line and number of lines that were added.
>>
>> Example:
>> _at__at_ -26,6 +26,8 _at__at_
>>
>> The above example, starting at line 26 I "deleted" 6 lines and then
>> added 8 lines (actually, I changed 6 lines and then *added 6 lines*).
>
> 'added 2 lines' right?
>
> Keeping track of which lines were removed and which added seems
> confusing, but I'm sure I could get the hang of it. Worse though is
> that any line number changes need to ripple downwards. So if I delete a
> hunk part-way through, all the other hunks (from the same source file)
> would need to be adjusted accordingly, and on large files with large
> changes this gets nightmarish fast.
> --
> gl

Yup, my bad. There are patchfile editor programs that I've seen but not
used. I've always either hand edited my patch files or created a
different subdirectory tree for the two (or more) patches and segregated
my patches (sometimes after the fact which can be difficult as you so
rightly point out :-( ).

This looks interesting, but probably doesn't help you today :-/
http://www.gerv.net/software/patch-maker/
(http://books.mozdev.org/html/mozilla-app-b-sect-2.html)

Emacs mode:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue27/marsden.html

vim built in support:
vimdiff

Graphical diff creation and editing tools:
http://meld.sourceforge.net/
http://home.catv.ne.jp/pp/ginoue/software/gtkdiff/index-e.html

Oh, oh, looks like you are running Windows for your email:
Some of the above run on Windows but everything will be more difficult.

gvb