Subject: Re: Multifont: testing & feedback

Re: Multifont: testing & feedback

From: bk <mutualaid_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:16:33 -0500

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 18:01 +0200, XavierGr wrote:
> I tried the patch but I must say that I encountered a lot of errors.
>
> 1) How can I select a specific font for a specific menu(screen)?
> It seems that it will choose the font for the main UI, but I can't
> change the WPS font.

Add the appropriate line to the theme .cfg file (wpsfont for the WPS
font) and reload the theme. Example:

# Testing theme
wps: /.rockbox/wps/iAmp.wps
browserfont: /.rockbox/fonts/proportional.fnt
wpsfont: /.rockbox/fonts/nimbus-12.fnt
menufont: /.rockbox/fonts/snap.fnt
tunerfont: /.rockbox/fonts/atadore.fnt
statusbar: on
rwps: /.rockbox/wps/iAmp.rwps

> 2) Do you load fonts in the cache or you load the glyphs from the
> disk?
> I see that every time I change screen the HD spins up (with dircache
> on).
>
> 3) I saw some scrolling bugs. When scrolling occured the font changed
> from the scrolling line.

I haven't seen any of these errors on my builds (certainly not the
scrolling bug). What device are you using? All existing font code is
reused (including glyph cache), if a font is less than 10k it is loaded
into memory, otherwise the glyph cache is used.

Also, what fonts are you using? Perhaps if you're using large unicode
fonts it might cause the HD to spin up whenever changing fonts
(reloading the glyph cache maybe?). However even when I tested
unifont.fnt I didn't notice anything like that. Screen changing has been
instantaneous in my experience.

thanks for testing,
bk