Subject: Re: Multifont: testing & feedback (HD spinning)

Re: Multifont: testing & feedback (HD spinning)

From: bk <mutualaid_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:27:03 -0500

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 18:35 +0200, XavierGr wrote:
> imbues 14 on H300, since I dind't know how to load other fonts for
> other screens I am not sure about the HD spinning.

I see what you mean about the HD not spinning down. When you use a large
browser font (large as in size on disk) it goes through the font cache,
which, whenever you need to display text containing glyphs that haven't
been used yet, has to spin up the disk and load the glyphs into cache.
After browsing for a little while all necessary glyphs are loaded so the
disk should no longer be needed and will spin down.

If we increase each font buffer to 45kb we can ensure that only the
biggest fonts go through the cache (about 74% of fonts then are small
enough to be loaded entirely). Obviously that increases overhead quite a
bit (from ~50kb to ~225kb).

The font cache code is basically unchanged, so even with a smaller
buffer the performance should be no worse than using a large font with
the current single font code.

bk