Subject: VMWare Environment

VMWare Environment

From: Mark Bright <mark_at_redbreva.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:45:06 -0000

Hi all,

I have just given the VMWare development method a try, and hit a few snags..
I followed the instructions on
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/VMwareDevelopmentPlatform with no
problems, and managed to start up the environment fine, followed the
Compiling section, and completed a build with no issues, WAAAAAAAAY qucker
that in Cygwin.

I then tried to build the manual, created a new directory, ran
../tools/configure, typed make - no platform!!

I then tried using the full command line version to checkout rockbox-devel
instead, realising that the manual may not be included under the rockbox
alias, and watching the screen - this proved to be the case, and the manual
files were indeed now checked out.

Typed make again, this time
Pdflatex: command not found, I assume that latex has not been installed on
this image. How do I do this? Should it in fact be in the image?

Second issue revolves around the file sharing area,
I assume that the line \\ip\user means the actual ip address of the virtual
machine? I could see mention to DHCP in the bootup refering to
192.168.237.129, and address I can in fact PING when VMWare is runing and
connected to the ethernet, and it fails as soon as I disconnect the
ethernet, but attempting to map a network share in XP to
\\192.168.237.129\user fails with "The folder you entered does not appear to
be valid. Please choose another"

Anyone any clues as to why it fails?

Mark