Subject: Re: VMWare Environment

Re: VMWare Environment

From: Joseph Kubik <shrike_at_heinous.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:57:59 -0500

On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:45, Mark Bright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just given the VMWare development method a try, and hit a few
> snags.. I followed the instructions on
> http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/VMwareDevelopmentPlatform with
> no problems, and managed to start up the environment fine, followed the
> Compiling section, and completed a build with no issues, WAAAAAAAAY qucker
> that in Cygwin.
>
> I then tried to build the manual, created a new directory, ran
> ../tools/configure, typed make - no platform!!
>
> I then tried using the full command line version to checkout rockbox-devel
> instead, realising that the manual may not be included under the rockbox
> alias, and watching the screen - this proved to be the case, and the manual
> files were indeed now checked out.
>
> Typed make again, this time
> Pdflatex: command not found, I assume that latex has not been installed on
> this image. How do I do this? Should it in fact be in the image?
>
> Second issue revolves around the file sharing area,
> I assume that the line \\ip\user means the actual ip address of the virtual
> machine? I could see mention to DHCP in the bootup refering to
> 192.168.237.129, and address I can in fact PING when VMWare is runing and
> connected to the ethernet, and it fails as soon as I disconnect the
> ethernet, but attempting to map a network share in XP to
> \\192.168.237.129\user fails with "The folder you entered does not appear
> to be valid. Please choose another"
>
> Anyone any clues as to why it fails?
>
> Mark
I am assuming that windows is your "host os" and linux is the "guest os" ?
Are you trying to use the builtin host - guest file sharing through VMware
workstation? Or are you trying to setup Samba file sharing from / to Linux?

Btw, this is probably just a VMware issue not to do with rockbox, and the
www.vmware.com/vmtn/community/ forums are a great resource.

If you get too stuck, let me know. I work for VMware for a day job so I might
be able to help you out. ;)
-Joseph-