Subject: Re: PCM CODEC

Re: PCM CODEC

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:14:17 +0200

On 26.03.2006, Bluechip wrote:

> - Read parameters from WAV file. Plays 16bit PCM WAV files
> with all common samplerates, both mono and stereo.

> Because I'm too lazy to look at the codec docs. Why only
> 16bit? Is it a codec limitation? If so, could we pad 8bit
> files and strip 24bit files?

Yes it's a limitation of the PCM codec. It can handle 8000/
11025/12000/16000/22050/24000/32000/44100/48000 Hz both
mono and stereo, but only 16 bit samples.

I won't work around that limitation in my WAV playback plugin.
It only uses a simplistic playback engine and is meant as a
'preview' for PCM playback.

With a more sophisticated playback engine, introducing the
concept of (simple) software codecs, it will be possible to play
8 bit samples as well as simple compression schemes like ADPCM.

This is clearly post-3.0 stuff, and I won't spend any more work
on that before the playback engines (hopefully) get unified.

Regards, Jens