Subject: Re: Remove PluginJewels from RockBox downloads immediately

Re: Remove PluginJewels from RockBox downloads immediately

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:40:32 -0400

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:32:42 +0200, Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
wrote:

>Regarding your question below, the gem graphics in the color image of PluginJewels as seen at http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/pub/Main/PluginJewels/jewelscolor.png , are identical to the graphics seen in versions of Bejeweled(R) for PalmOS, PocketPC, or Windows Mobile, seen here:
http://www.astraware.com/products/bejeweled/palm/bejeweled_screenshot_320x320_02.gif . The screenshots are 100% identical, down to the gem placement on the game grid.

Not even close. With them side by side in my graphics editor, I
observe the following:

jewel Orange hex
Rockbox Bottom right bar highlight is blurry
Brand X Highlight is sharp

jewel Red Square
Rockbox Lower right highlight is partial
Brand X Highlight is uniform across the facet

jewel Red Square
Rockbox Upper Left highlight is uniform
Brand X Highlight is accented at the lower left and upper right
             the facet.

jewel White Blob
Rockbox Highlight is uniform in the upper left and lower right
             quadrants. Blob has definite protuberances extending from
             each axis.
Brand X Highlight is from lower left to upper right and is
             random.

jewel Purple traiangle
Rockbox Left side and lower right points are highlighted
Brand X The two upper diagonals are uniformly highlighted.

jewel Blue Diamond
Rockbox Part of the top facet is highlighted. A spear-like
             highlight is visible on the left side.
Brand X The lower right facet is shaded to look concave. Random
             highlighting on the upper facet.

jewel Yellow diamond
Rockbox Shadowing generally forms a square cornered "U" facing
             upward and to the left.
Brand X Shadow is similar but with definite notches in each
             corner

Each Rockbox jewel has a wide, dark border around it. Brand X
doesn't. Bonus, scoring and battery indicators are completely
different.

The only thing in common between these two is the underlying theme of
the game and that isn't copyrightable.

This is the perfect opportunity to draw a hard line in the sand. No
changes, no disclaimers, no nothing. Leave it like it is and send
this guy packing.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain