Subject: timed recording w/ FM recorder

timed recording w/ FM recorder

From: <rockbox-dev_at_bcarnes.homeip.net>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 14:23:59 -0700

Hey all,

   I've been really happy with my FM Recorder, loaded with Rockbox
2.5. Great work, everyone.

   I've noticed that no timed recording features seem to exist in
either 2.5 or the latest CVS codebase. It'd be nice to turn a rockbox
w/ FM recording capabilities into something like a RadioShark.

   I've looked over radio.c, recording.c, and the plugin architecture,
and it looks decently straightforward for me to implement.

   Before I do so, I wanted to get feedback from the development
community about how this would best fit into the rockbox architecture,
and what features everyone would want.

   There doesn't seem to be anything written about this in the wiki,
or in the feature request area of the bug database.

   I propose to do the following:

* Allow scheduled recording:
** record from a given station frequency or preset
** specify start time, stop time, and filename prefix
** allow no repeat, daily, weekdays, weekends, or weekly
** save filenames in the recordings area with name as the given
"filename prefix" followed by a timestamp (for repeats)

* Augment the existing recording facility to allow an automatic cutoff
(i.e. "record now and automatically stop after N minutes" where N can
be changed after you've begun recording) (useful for recording the
rest of a show you're listening to).

This would all be driven from a config file that has all the scheduled
recording times. I'll want to put in a minimal GUI that allows
add/modify/deletion of the scheduled recordings.

I haven't decided whether I should make this part of the base rockbox
(allowing a background "scheduled recording" thread to take control if
you're doing something else and start recording), or if it should be a
plugin that you have to explicitly leave running for it to start/stop
recording.

   Any comments, concerns, suggestions, or feature requests to bundle
in with these changes are welcome.

   Brian