Subject: Release policy and coordination

Release policy and coordination

From: bk <mutualaid_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:19:21 -0400

Hey all,

Since 3.0 didn't happen today (despite it being the proposed absolute
deadline) I think some rethinking needs to be done about releases.

Obviously there's some problems to deal with, since we've been in a
freeze forever, there's little CVS activity and no clear indications on
when a release might happen, what's holding it up or who even makes the
final decision.

Maybe with how development is now working so-called 'stable' releases
aren't really suitable? Would it be better to just release a CVS tarball
once every 30 days like wine used to do? The 2.x series is already out
there so we could call the new tarballs something like
"rockbox-3.20060531.tar.gz".

Regardless of the release style I propose that something be done about
communication. Let's appoint someone the title of release
coordinator/manager who's job it is to get the devs together on a
specific date or feature goal and make sure it gets stuck to. If we
promise to release on a certain date it will happen. If it doesn't, the
user/contributor community will get a specific list of reasons why and a
new target date. I'm not saying the person would have dictatorial
control, but instead that person would make sure that there's consensus
among the core devs and that decision making is open and transparent.

bk