Subject: Re: VM Player debian for rockbox

Re: VM Player debian for rockbox

From: <postmaster_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:18:21 -0400

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Anyone try the new Free VMWare Server Edition yet. I haven't tried it
> for this purpose but I've run a knoppix disk in a VM in windows and it
> took almost no setup.

I thought I posted about this; I did get the free server, set up a
(k)ubuntu system (ubuntu with kde installed), and have been using it
to compile rockbox.

The KDE GUI works ok, but can get a bit slow, even though I give the
VM up to 1GB of real memory (my total system real memory is 2GB).
That, and linux's piss-poor handling of the wheel mouse* has led me to
using samba and ssh to, rspectively, edit and compile.

*Yeah, yeah, linux can do no wrong. But windows lets me use the mouse
wheel to scroll by page (as if I'd clicked the scroll bar gutter) ;
linux only lets me use it to scroll by some number of lines. imwheel
changes wheel scrolls to page_up/pg_down, but that moves the text
insertion point as wheel as scrolling thescreen.