Subject: Re: Annouce: patch to speed up SOME list scrolling by a factor of ~12

Re: Annouce: patch to speed up SOME list scrolling by a factor of ~12

From: <postmaster_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:02:00 -0400

Dave Hooper wrote:
> Great! What, I wonder, was the reason for redrawing the entire list
> when moving the selection bar up/down the screen?

It's easier to code, you don't have to worry about erasing things or
figuring out when you can get away with not redrawing everything.

With the new code, I have to "remember" where stuff is, and erase or
overwrite stuff. This adds to the size of the gui_list structures, etc.

And as I wrote, I got stuck on tagcache using the same list (as I use
the gui_list address (the pointer value) to figure out if I'm still on
the list I was on before.