dev builds
themes manual
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
dev guide

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Feature freeze is lifted

Re: Feature freeze is lifted

From: Will Robertson <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:08:35 +1000

I'm in full support of this decision. When feature freeze wasn't in effect
there were a lot of really interesting and cool new things being added, and
honestly, the most interesting thing that's happened in the CVS logs in the
past week has been some kind of solitaire bugfix (I play solitaire a LOT).

I hope the featurefreeze lifting doesn't cause too much trouble in the way
of the 3.0 release, I'm looking forward to it, even if it is only the speech
parts of the OS that are being fixed - a feature that I personally rarely
use - having 3.0 I'm sure will give me a nice fuzzy feeling.

Viva la rockbox!

On 7/18/06, Björn Stenberg <> wrote:
> Hi all.
> It is with mixed emotions I hereby announce that the feature freeze for
> 3.0 is now lifted -- without 3.0 having been released.
> We have been in freeze for over three months now. And we have indeed fixed
> many bugs, but we still have critical problems that prevent a 3.0 release.
> With summer in full swing and many core developers away on well-deserved
> holidays, it is impropable that these problems will be fixed before august,
> which would mean four months of freeze. A third of a year.
> That's not fun.
> I, Linus and Daniel discussed the freeze over lunch today and decided that
> in this difficult situation, we need to focus on the core values: Rockbox is
> about having fun. Being in freeze with no clear end in sight is a drain on
> morale and enthusiasm, which is not how we want Rockbox to feel. So we
> decided to end the freeze now and unlock the doors to creativity and
> programming joy.
> At best, we'll get lots of new improvements and exciting features without
> much negative impact. At worst, the changes will destabilize the code base
> severely and push the prospect of a 3.0 release even further into the
> future than today. In order to hedge our bets, we have set a tag in CVS
> which we can return to and branch from if we later fix the critical bugs and
> would like to release Rockbox in today's state.
> We still think the freeze was the right decision. We just weren't able to
> reach the state we wanted to, in the time we wanted to. And rather than
> stubbornly repeating "we freeze until release", we adapt to the current
> reality and unfreeze.
> Gentlemen, start your compilers.
> --
> Björn
Received on 2006-07-18

Page template was last modified "Tue Sep 7 00:00:02 2021" The Rockbox Crew -- Privacy Policy