Subject: Re: AC3 pass through

Re: AC3 pass through

From: Justin Brzozoski <jabski_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:48:06 -0400

From when I was skimming through the chip specs and the code looking
at the possibility of adding digital-in recording (stereo PCM only), I
seem to remember that you could configure the two optical ports to do
direct pass-through and any format or speed should be able to go
through.

In terms of being able to save and replay those bit streams later, you
can do a raw capture of the data up to a certain clock speed, and I
*think* you should be able to spit that back out later assuming you
can find an appropriate clock multiplier to approximate the original
data rate.

Currently, the Rockbox firmware can only use the ports for stereo PCM
data (_at_44100) output. Adding input for the same format wouldn't be
too tough. Adapting it to other clock rates would be medium
difficulty. Adding non-PCM formats is a bit beyond me at the moment.

- Justin B