Subject: Horzontal scrolling

Horzontal scrolling

From: Simon M. <simon.me_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 20:53:28 +0200

There are a few things I like about the new button definition for
horizontal scrolling in lists but there are some things that I don't
like, because it makes navigation clumsier for me.

What I like:
 It isn't a key combo anymore, so I might actually use it regularily

But what I don't like:
- It is not possible to get back to root in file browser and to leave
all menus quickly anymore
For leaving menus and going up in folders, the old functionality can
be restored without breaking the new scrolling. If the screen is in
the leftmost scrolling position (the default case) then a long press
of LEFT doesn't do anything, so we can enable the previous behavior
(go all levels up fast) again. The scrolling code could check in which
position the screen is in, and if there is nothing to scroll, pass the
key back to the list handeling code.

- If you press left or right a little bit too long it starts scrolling
when I actually want to change folders.
My suggestion is to make the duration for a short press longer (only
in this special case, if that is possible)

Horizontal screen scrolling could be automatically deactivated if
every visible list entry fits on the screen completely.