Subject: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system

Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system

From: Jonas H <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:29:48 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Also, your approach seems to mostly focus how to remove unnecessary
> lines in the menu code but the "option bloat" is also due to all little
> support-functions etc that each little thing requires and not only for
> the little lines in the actual menu, and I didn't see your approach
> address that.

Furthermore, "option bloat" in my eyes is more than just code-size and
code-readability. It's also the fact, that too many options make baby
Jesus cry. Or at least, it makes it harder to find what you're looking
for. The amount of settings available is already very daunting and
probably somewhat discouraging to many users.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that it might be a good idea,
usability-wise if the menus were trimmed, and some of the more esoteric
options only were available through .cfg files or similar.

Of course, in that case, people will be unable to change certain options
without having to use a computer. Maybe some sort of .cfg-file editor
plugin could be created, which would then expose all available options
(or maybe just the hidden ones).

I guess I've gone off on a tangent here, but I don't really have any
basis forming an opinion on the original suggestion.

--
Jonas H
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk