Subject: Option rework (was: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system)

Option rework (was: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system)

From: Jonas H <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:59:34 +0200

Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>> I'm increasingly of the opinion that it might be a good idea,
>> usability-wise if the menus were trimmed, and some of the more
>> esoteric options only were available through .cfg files or similar.
> Last post before going back On Topic...

Since I have nothing to contribute there..

> This is a bad option.. all settings should be available on the DAP. A
> nicer option is maybe having 2 sets of options, "simple" and
> "advanced" where the only difference is some options are not visible
> in "simple" mode.

The reason I dislike (despise is probably closer, in fact) the
"Simple/Advanced" system that simply adds more options when advanced is
enabled, is that you have no idea where to look for advanced options and
they are usually not easy to find. There needs to be somewhere to go
where you can see the advanced options. I'd like an "Advanced options"
menu much better, from a UI standpoint.

Will Robertson wrote:
> What, like the text editor plugin?

That's of course an option, but it'd be much nicer to have a dedicated
.cfg editor, that allowed you to see the possible values, so you
wouldn't have to type them out, you could just select them. I imagined
something like the text viewer, except with a cursor that selects the
value, and when you press a button, a screen pops up with that setting's
possible values. That would of course require a non-trivial amount of
both coding and maintenance.

But then, I'm quite unlikely to ever put any code on the table, so this
is all just random ideas I'm tossing out.

--
Jonas H
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk