Subject: Re: Option rework (was: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system)

Re: Option rework (was: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system)

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:40:47 -0500

I think that a simple/advanced scheme does not solve any problems at all.

First: The problem of having a hard time finding options. In the simple
scheme they will theoretically be just as hard to find, they're just harder
to find in a shorter list on the page they're on.

Second: You don't know they're hidden or not until you switch to advanced
(unless you do the gray-out thing, in which case you lose all benefit of
simplification entirely, as you've just got all the options there, with some
being unchangeable, which really is no different from a user choosing not to
change them.)

I think a Simple/Advanced scheme has absolutely nothing to offer without
rather drastic menu reorganization in the "Simple" schema, and then, if
there's even one option a user likes to change not under Simple, they won't
use it. I don't think it's worth the code.