Subject: Re: Option rework (was: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system)

Re: Option rework (was: Re: my next crazy idea... rework the menu system)

From: john <ruttmannn_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:24:32 +0200

> If e.g. the options "crossfeed" and "stereo width" would be advanced
> options, you'll still find them at the "sound settings menu" - when
> you're in advanced mode.

But "crossfeed" is a simple option, because it`s one of the first
options I ever used and the cause I fell instantly in love with
rockbox.

You see: Splitting options into two categories, named simple and
advanced, is highly subjective.

And in my opinion this increases complexity, as the options are
already arranged in a hierachical tree and this would introduce new
nodes in various positions in it. An equalizer setting might have an
simple and advanced mode, but this nodes would be children of the
equalizer node option and not the other way round.

So it might be useful to have an advanced user flag, that increases
complexity or some options. But it is a different deal to switch of
part of the options/settingsa tree, as, I repeat myself, every user has
different preferences.

But maybe use a common standard for the simple menu tree, like to show
only options that are available with the original iriver oder ipod
firmware. ;-)

Or maybe give every option a unique ID (numeric or by name) and just
read the menu tree from harddisk, so every user can arrange this at
will.

Then, I`m sure, in a few month some smartass will write a patch, that
tracks menu action and rearranges the tree dynamically based on user
behaviour. And I will love it. :-)

cu
John