Subject: Re: Reviewers and committer for talkative RB

Re: Reviewers and committer for talkative RB

From: Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:36:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bryn Smith :
>
>> I used to use a Sony Discman that used to sound two quick beeps in the
>> headphones when you skipped tracks so you could tell if you weren't
>> looking at the screen. Would that be something that would help with the
>> 'bus problem'?
>
> I fear it's not what we want. Once you hear the beeps, it's too late already,
> you are listening o tThe previous / next track and forced to search
> the passage you were listening to again...

Right. And BTW the beep feature already IS implemented.

You said "we"? I'm not the only one with this problem then?

> Maybe you'd like to put this feature request on FlySpray:
> When "skip forward" is followed by a "skip backward" (or vice versa), return
> to the same position instead of restarting.
> This might fit well with flushing codec buffer only after ~5 seconds.
> Seems feasible for me.

Perhaps... What if I do want to switch tracks though, say I'm browsing a
music album?

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Erik Slagter wrote:

>> I fear it's not what we want. Once you hear the beeps, it's too late already,
>> you are listening o tThe previous / next track and forced to search
>> the passage you were listening to again...
>
> Something like the VI option: "go back to previous position just before
> jump" iow "undo last jump".

That might do it... I guess track skip next/prev is pretty much the only
thing this undo would apply to though?

Well I'm trying out one possible solution. I've put my patch up in P#6188,
if anyone is interested in trying it out. It's an alternative WPS mode in
which skip next/prev cause a 5seconds quick skip forward or backward
within the current track. And you can toggle back to the normal mode any
time. Comments?

--
Stéphane Doyon
<s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>