Subject: JTAG and PP5020 (iriver H10)

JTAG and PP5020 (iriver H10)

From: Barry Wardell <barry.wardell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:28:46 +0100

Hi,

Today I have been attempting to get the JTAG port on my H10 working in an
effort to figure out more about the PP5020.

I've successfully built a cable based on the instructions here:
http://openwince.sourceforge.net/jtag/iPAQ-3600/ and used it to hook my H10
up to the parallel port on my computer. I connected to the TCK, TDO, TDI,
TMS, TRST, VDD33 and DGND points on the H10 (centre-left of this image:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/pub/Main/IriverH10Info/pcb_back.jpg).

It looks like the cable works at least. I used the jtag tools (
http://openwince.sourceforge.net/jtag/) software and it was able to detect
my H10. That's about all I was able to do though, since the software doesn't
have any support for the PP5020. I was able to get some output from the
detect and discovery commands (
http://barrywardell.net/assets/files/h10-jtag.txt), but that's all so far.

It detects two parts, both with the same device Id. Could these be the two
ARM cores in the PP5020 chip? Does anyone know of any other software that
may be useful for working with JTAG and ARM? Or how i could adapt the jtag
tools to work with the PP5020?

If I can get this working, I think it could be a very useful tool for
generally debugging PortalPlayer hardware.

Barry