Subject: Big SWCODEC recording patch doesn't agree with my player

Big SWCODEC recording patch doesn't agree with my player

From: Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:46:02 -0500 (EST)

When the latest CVS didn't seem to work on my player anymore, I
painstakingly backtracked CVS versions and identified that something seems
to go wrong for me when this patch is introduced:
"Big Patch adds primarily: Samplerate and format selection to recording
for SWCODEC."
dated around 2006-11-06 18:07:21 +0000.
Commits are between 18:00 and 18:20...

The problem I have, quite simply, is there's no sound :-). I get a "codec
failure" message when playing music, and I have the voice enabled but it's
not talking.

My player is an IAUDIO X5L 30GB.

Additional symptoms:
-After boot, hard disk is making a regular rythmic clicking sound,
-Hard disk doesn't seem to spin down,
-When I try to play a track, I hear lots of continuous hard disk activity,
in addition to the "codec failure" message.
-I think it's not shutting down properly (I don't hear the disk saving the
settings, and it takes several seconds longer than usual, big click at the
end, like on a forced shutdown).

I did try:
-without any of my own patches, straight from CVS,
-with the voice turned off,
-resetting the settings before booting the new firmware,
but the problem persists.

I reported similar vague problems several weeks ago when I tested this
patch out of FlySpray. It's a bit hard to get the details right in a case
like this: I'm blind and the player isn't talking. When no one else had
that problem and the patch was tested on X5 players, I thought I must have
made some sort of mistake and forgot about it, but now it's still not
working for me.

Any help appreciated, thx

--
Stéphane Doyon