Subject: Re: how should the settings screen work?

Re: how should the settings screen work?

From: Michael Sevakis <jethead71_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:49:01 -0500

Why do we need so many ways to apply a setting (not to mention ways of
exiting a screen). Would rather just hit select or "NAVI" to commit a
setting or just back out with left (or maybe ONE other button) to cancel.
Right just doesn't make sense since you're not going deeper into the tree
structure and in that case could possibly have other uses in context.

I hate the fact that on the x5 someone added cancel functionality to the
power switch. That will go when I get the time. I can cancel with the rec
button or by using left already. I don't need three ways to do the same
thing. On x5 using power for much of anything is not convenient since it's a
slide switch and not a press like on say, the H120.

And a far as remotes go, the button functionality of the remote and the main
unit should be as close as possible. Should be identical if all the buttons
exist on the remote in some way.

My not-so-humble opinion :): Only owners of the devices should set button
mappings. Never use the sim for it since it tells you nothing about what
makes sense. I get the feeling that's what's gone on for x5.