Subject: Code size?

Code size?

From: Tim Gilbert <timgilbert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:55:14 -0800

Hi...

I'm just starting to poke around in the rockbox code, and I'd like to
start contributing some features / fixes / etc. Recent messages about
shaving 300 bytes off of the code size make me kind of nervous, though.
Can someone provide me with a brief summary of what the code size issues
are? Is there a lowest-common denominator player whose limits we're
running up against?

Also, just curious if there's been any attempt to make any of the larger
chunks of code into compile-time options? (Say, the voice options or
crossfade? I do realize voice is essential for an important Rockbox
user base, but for my own personal builds I'd just as soon have other
features enabled instead of voice, since I don't use it.)

Finally, does anyone have any opinion about whether it would be
worthwhile to pursue some sort of VM type arrangement where the entire
firmware wouldn't need to be loaded at once? (Or does Rockbox already
do this for anything besides plugins?) I'm not nearly familiar enough
with the code and the various platforms to know whether this would be
feasible or not, but it does seem like one obvious way to work around
code-size limitations, and one thing most of the hardware does have in
spades is storage space.

Thanks
Tim