Subject: Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:02:20 -0000 (UTC)

Paul Louden wrote:
> Most audio devices have exactly *one* scheme for volume: Higher numbers
> are
> louder. I have some that are 0-10, some that are 1-10 (with only mute
> being
> off, 1 is still quiet), some that are 0-40, 0-20, 0-30, 0-100, etc. The
> only
> real consistency is that higher numbers are louder. Yes, there are no
> negatives, but I don't see how that makes any more sense than a dB scale.
> At
> least the dB scale gives a functional point of relative reference, rather
> than just being arbitrary numbers that some programmer decided were enough
> slices to cut the pie into.

You certainly aren't the only one to argue this case (many of us have
tried at the time the change was made). It has been stated many times that
this is the only option that will be available (apart from the graphical
representation, where supported), with no option to use a "bigger is
louder" setting. The rest of us gave up arguing about it a while ago!

Sigh.
--
Mike Holden
http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted