Subject: Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

From: mat holton <mat_at_lessermatters.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:01:43 +0000

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> mat holton wrote:
>> how many hi-fi's have negative numbers next to the volume knob? None,
>> that's how many.
>
> That's odd. Then maybe my hi-fi isn't a hi-fi, because it displays the
> volume in dB. And I like it.
>
> We could use any representation we want, and we opted for a
> representation that actually means something, instead of an arbitrary
> range. Most people tend to use the volume control interactively
> anyway, you change the volume until it sounds right, regardless of
> what the display says.
>
> Linus

Sarcasm, I see, clever.

So I'm wrong about hi-fi's displaying dB scale. There are also
audiophile's that spend £50 on a piece of speaker-cable or buy little
boxes to rest speaker their cable on. These kind of people would
probably appreciate a dB scale. Most, I'm guessing, would prefer to not
have to deal with negative numbers.

Once again though, I don't mind, I can deal with seeing a negative
number when I would expect to see positive numbers. This is simple an
opinion about what I believe most people would be more comfortable seeing.